Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God Bless America

God bless America! What an exciting day and night. It felt so good to step into the voting both and express MY opinion!! Althought I wasn't a big supporter for Obama It was so moving to see the first African-American President elected. You couldn't help but be moved and touched by this historic moment. His speech was amazing! My eyes welled with tears as I thought about this amazing moment and the fact that now that this process is over we can unite as Americans.


I've been so into this election and I'm very passionate about my views. I listened to way to many talk radio shows, read too many online articles, and watched to much CNN. Because of this my children have taken notice in the election and asked many questions. Last night as Obama was speaking, Peyton was a little concerned about our next President (maybe I expressed my opinion in front of him too much) but, this was a great opportunity for me to teach him that now that we have a new President we'll support him and respect him. I explained to Peyton that it's very important for Obama to have our support so that he can lead the country in the right direction. However, that doesn't mean we have to agree with everything he does, it's our right to disagree without being disrespectful. I've seen so many parents teaching their children that George Bush is evil and a bad man, I think it's awful. I makes me sad that children are being taught disrespect and hate towards our President. Bush made some bad decisions and has been a poor leader in many many cases but, I truly believe he is not a bad man. I hope my children will grow up to be free thinkers, to feel like they can express themselves and not be mocked, I want them to question others when they feel they're wrong. I'm grateful they were able to witness this amazing time in our history.


Obama still has a lot to prove to me. I like a lot of his ideas, I'll be watching very closely to see if he can keep all the promises he made on the campaign trail. Like, NOT raising my taxes, better education, heath care for the uninsured, ending the war and getting Osama, while balancing the budget and paying down debt. Then, I'll be impressed and he'll have won me over. He has ignited our country, the American people are so full of hope and excitement. I hope he doesn't let us down, I think the effect could be devastating at such a critical time. Good thing he has at least 4 years to make the CHANGES this great country needs.

7 comments:

AP said...

Well said.

Carlye Momma said...

I couldn't agree more my dear. I have had many mixed emotions about this election! And Cameron and I have been more involved in this election than any other. I truly hope that this man will live up to everyone's expectations, and I will respect him and support him. I just pray that we don't go out of business because of his proposed tax raises & forcing us to insure our already insured employee. These are things that scare me...not to mention pulling out of the war too soon or without very careful consideration of the consequences. I would love the war to be over...7 years ago...but I wouldn't want us to be hastey in our actions and start a war in our country. I too was moved this morning watching many of my fellow Americans watching Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream come true. But...if we are to live by his vision...we need to judge him NOT by the color of his skin...but by the content of his character. I pray for him that he will have the strength needed to lead our country in the direction we so desperately need to go. I am SO excited that EVERY SINGLE person I know is SO engaged in this...it is truly something amazing to be a part of! I am SO proud to be an American...right now. I respect President Bush and appreciate him for what he has done right, I agree he has made MANY bad decisions that have cost our country poorly but I too believe that he is a good man that truly means well. It's just that meaning well isn't quite good enough when you have the fate of every single American citizen in the palm of your hand. I wouldn't want that responsibility. K...stepping off my soapbox now. Just wanted you to know I love you and appreciate you and your views! Thanks for the post!

LOVE YA!!!

Brittany said...

I was thinking of you last night. I am excited for change I just hope he sticks to what he says, I was moved as well during his speech. He has young kid's which makes me hopeful that he wants a better America for our little one's, I will support him because that is what I have been taught to support our President. I am proud to be an American and how far this country has come in electing an African-American President. Thanks for your post it was fun to read.

Kerry said...

What a great post. You are awesome, I have to admit that I have not been into it as much as I should have but I like you will respect him and hope that he pulls through on his promises. It is a bummer that we don't live closer but please make sure you contact me whenever you are here and I will do the same. I will email you my address and numbers.

Lizzy said...

such an awesome post...loved it.

Kristi said...

The jury is still out for me on Obama. We'll see what he really does (just pray for NO socialized medicine!)

Roni said...

Thank-you for your insight. I as well feel a great sense of hope!! It has been a long 8 years and to finally feel like we have the opportunity to be the America so many invision is overwhelming. I look forward to change. God Bless America!!