Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Proud to be an American


I have a real passion for politics and have loved this political season. I think I've even become a little obsessed with the race for president. And as I've been researching the candidates the thing that has hit me the hardest is that I feel so proud and so blessed to be an American. I'm so grateful for free speech and for democracy and for my right to vote. I truly believe that both candidates have our best interest in mind, they both see a great need for change. We have so much potential as citizens of the greatest country in the World, and no one man can change anything alone, it begins with the average America. I think one of the reasons I love Sarah Palin is because I see myself in her. I'm not a Harvard grad, but I feel like I'm smart and in touch with many issues and challenges that average Americans are faced with and hopefully one day I'll be able to run for office and make a difference in my community. Although some of my friends have different political views (this is what makes it interesting) and we'll never change each others opinions, I'm so grateful that we sit around the park and share our thoughts and discuss how we plan to change the World.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I am so proud of you for paying attention. I think my biggest issue is most of my friends aren't even following this election. Agree or disagree, just as long as it is an educated decision, right!

Natalee said...

I could not be more thrilled with Sarah Palin. Her speech last night was nothing short of inspiring! Though I would have never voted with Hilary Clinton because I disagreed with her on too many levels, I will say that she has clearly opened the door for America to be more accepting of a woman in office. The way that Sarah has handled the media attacks on her family and her beliefs were amazing! I don't know that I completely agree that the front runners both have our best interests at heart, but I completely agree that it is such a blessing that we have to get together as friends and family and discuss what is going on in our country and in our communities.

Great Post!

Brittany said...

You have changed my mind about politics so I thank you for that but one thing I have always felt strongly about is that I am very proud to be an american. We are following the election this year and will have to talk about it if we can ever get together. Thanks!

Carlye Momma said...

I totally agree with you! I have been so inspired with this election and I couldn't be more impressed with Senator McCain & Gov. Palin! His speach tonight was absolutely incredible! So great I felt it was worth blogging about. :-) I usually try to keep my political views to myself but I just can't hold this one in!