Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Horizon

I am standing upon the seashore.
A ship at my side spreads his white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.
He is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch him until at length he hangs like a speck of white cloud on the horizon,
just where the sea and the sky come to mingle with one another.
Then someone at my side says, "There, he is gone."
"Gone where?"
Gone from my sight. That is all.
He is just as large in mast and hull and span as he was when he left my side, and he is just as able
to bear his load of living freight to his destined port.
His diminished size is in me, not in him.
And just at the moment when someone at my side says, "There, he is gone."
There are other eyes watching him coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout:
"Here he comes!"

And that is dying.

-Anonymous

One month ago today my Dad passed away. I'm still trying to figure out if it was just a bad dream. Somedays I feel like he's still just a phone call away. Others days I struggle to remember his voice, his smell, his laugh and it feels like he's been gone forever. A friend just gave me this poem, it brings me some comfort during this sad and difficult time.

3 comments:

Cannon Family said...

wow! What a great poem. i love it! i agree, sometimes it feels like we should be running over to see him, and other days it feels like he's been gone forever. I loved the paty about everyone sayign here he comes. Can you imagine :)

Wendi Bench said...

Ah Amy, I'm so sorry you are now a member of this not so sought after club. My thought are with you for sure, along with my prayers and the reassurance that you will be ok. Even though right now you might be wondering how does the mail keep coming and people keep going on everyday without talking about this huge monsterous loss in your life. That's the only thing that kept me going...knowing that life does go on. No because we want it to, but because we can't do anything to stop it. It's too early to say much, everything people said to try to comfort me was too hard to hear at first. If you ever need someone to talk to about it, please call me. XOXO Wendi Christensen Bench

Carlye Momma said...

Really...right now there are no words to express how much we LOVE you and your sweet family! Your loss...our loss...is definitely the heavens' gain! How wonderful for him that he can RUN now!!! Amy we love you so much and are constantly praying for you. I can't imagine what you must be feeling and I SO wish I could take your pain away from you. Please know we are here for you...in whatever way you'd like us to be. Thank you for sharing that poem. It was absolutely breath taking!

We love you SO much!

xoxoxo